***
You're at the mall, and you see something in a store that will look perfect for your new coordinate! Maybe it's a gorgeous cardigan, a necklace, a cute purse -- you dash over, pick it up, look at the price tag, and - oof. You didn't expect that price! But it's so beautiful, maybe just this once...
Hold it!
You may find yourself compelled to buy that PERFECT find in situations like this - you saw it right out of the blue, love at first sight, it was meant to be - yet, it's not something you had planned on buying. So, what to do?
Now, I can't guarantee this will work 100% of the time, but one option that has saved me cash on several different occasions is by simply putting it down and buying it at a later date.
For example, I had seen this beautiful dress on the Urban Outfitters website one day that I was dying to have, and when I visited the local store, there it was, along with another similar style - I had to have them both! But it wasn't in my price range, and would have been a foolish buy if I had taken it immediatly then and there. Since the store is close by and I frequent the area, I popped in a couple times over the next month or two to monitor if they had been put on sale yet, until one day - success! Both dresses had been marked down to a much more reasonable price, and as an added "bonus", one much lower than the other due to a broken zipper, that after examination, I decided would be a simple fix (which it was!). Now I have myself two dresses I'm in love with, and didn't have to spend nearly as much.
In another situation more recently, there was a decorative frame I had been wanting to buy from a store I frequently went to for art supplies. It had been marked down already, but it was just a little bit much for what I was willing to pay, and I never really had the extra cash while I was out. I passed it up for weeks and weeks, until one day recently I noticed there was only one left, slightly obscured by newer items. I pulled it out and - another score! It had been marked down AGAIN!
Again, this might not work every time - your item may be sold out before it gets a chance to go on sale, or by the time it goes on sale it might not be in your size. But, if you frequent the store or the general area of it anyways, and are willing to take the risk, it definitely couldn't hurt to wait it out for your find to go on sale.
The same can be said for online store sales and lucky pack season. If you're new to lolita, for example, it might be a better idea to wait and purchase a lucky pack - marked down items from brand stores, that usually are enough for one coordinate, sort of like a grab bag - to get you started. It can be tempting to want to buy that new print right when it's released, yet if you can wait and hold off, you may be able to find it on the comm sales for cheaper. Although it can be nice to be the trendsetter for a new design or print, holding off will go easier on your wallet and can save you from impulsive buys that could potentially lead you to debt.
Holding off on purchases - especially impulsive ones - can save you from wasting your hard earned cash. By waiting, you open yourself up to the opportunity for sale prices and discounts, you allow yourself more time to consider the purchase - maybe it ISN'T a perfect find after all... So before you grab that new find without a thought, stop yourself and think. Your wallet may thank you.
♥ Jesi Carroll

It's so funny, I have the opposite problem! I'm so tightfisted with my wallet that I rarely buy new things, and then I regret it and go on a shopping spree every few months. The unfortunate thing is, I rarely buy the stuff I really want in that spree. I guess I should probably just make small purchases as I go, so I can have new things and not feel like I have to "spoil" myself on a splurge.
ReplyDelete